Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost: ASOIAF:B1 AGOT (Not suitable for initials....)

Monday, September 12, 2011

ASOIAF:B1 AGOT (Not suitable for initials....)

Hey everyone,
I'm having a bit of a writer's block. Oh the high drama of the suffering writers.. *cough* wannabe *cough*. And of course, a severe case of laziness. It's on its way to be clinically proven. Seriously. 

Now remember when I said I hadn't read A Game of Thrones? Yeah, that's not true anymore.
There is so much to say about it. 800 pages worth of words. 
But I'm going to let Mr. Martin say it for me, yet again.
"The devil is in the details, they say." He says at the very end of the book. That may be my favorite part of the book. No, not the quote, the details. 

This may contain a bit of a *SPOILER*. 


As the ones who've read the books, you know this but for the others, every chapter is written in different characters' point of view. In the first book we see through Eddard, Catelyn, Bran, Arya, Jon, Sansa, Daenerys and Tyrion's eyes. It differs so much from who's side you see the story. But more importantly it's theirattention to the details. 

My favorite part was when both Ned and Catelyn met Varys, the eunuch, separately.
Cat says his clothes were elegant silk, his hands and face were powdered, he smelled of flowers, even his breath smelled like flowers. When Ned meets him, he says he stank of flowers, even his breath stank of flowers, he would almost throw up... 

After reading the book my favorite character is still Dany but I loved Arya and Bran's chapters the most. Arya's smart little mind and Bran's uncertainty were delights to read. Oh by the way, Bran's dire wolf's name wasn't given in the show but it's called Summer, he names him the second he wakes from his fall, literally. And to read that Ned was actually beheaded by his own sword, Ice, was a blow below the belt... Well figuratively. It was actually a blow below the neck. * snickers* 
You might think after reading the book some things are clearer.. Sorry to disappoint you, I'm still wailing "Why George, why?!" and on top of that where the fuck are Nymeria and Benjen?!! 

But I must say the biggest difficulty was, since I've watched the TV show and know the events, which are pretty much loyal to the book by the way, it was really hard reading the...how can I say this politely....'the less page turner events'. For me those were a bit of Jon's and Tyrion parts and Ned's part  where he was tracking down the bastard children of King Robert. While I still favor those characters, they had the most parts where they described thing to much detail, Jon more so than Tyrion. Tyrion's mind is amusing and witty, just like his words.

Now I'm going to start the second book: A Clash of Kings but I'm giving my self a little break. As much as I love the books so far, they can be a bit overwhelming. Especially for someone who gets caught in the things she reads. *smiles sheepishly*

One down, four (almost six) to go...

I like to keep all the books I read crisp but my beautiful books are going to be all dog eared by the time I finish them.. They are just so fricking LONG!



No comments:

Post a Comment