Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost: In the Game of Thrones You Either Live or Die

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

In the Game of Thrones You Either Live or Die

What did you do in the last 20 hours? I'll tell you what I did, I watched the whole first season of Game of Thrones (I know there are only 10 episodes, but come on, they are almost an hour each plus I gotta eat and sleep sometime...).
Man! I knew it would be good from the reviews and the quick popularity but this level of amazing-ness got to be against some sort of law... (It is known, It is known)

Game of Thrones is actually an adaptation of a series of books, called A Song of Fire and Ice by George R. R. Martin . (And as a Lord of the Rings-lover-blog, we always like authors who has R.R. initials in their
names after Tolkien... They seem to have a promising future.)

Well as I have not read the books -yet- I'm not going to act all high and mighty and try to give you background information but luckily HBO has no problems about that. And I must say their official website for the TV show is pretty impressive.
http://viewers-guide.hbo.com/game-of-thrones/



I should warn you, there are MASSIVE SPOILERS ahead...



House Baratheon
House Stark
House Lannister
House Tully
House Targaryen
House Arry
[House Frey
House Tyrell
House Greyjoy]



































BUT, I can still give you a few reminders and my favorite parts. Besides I still have some trouble placing people to their houses... Well it has been just a day, give me some credit.


It hasn't escaped me that the first and the last episodes are named so strategically, though the episodes in the middle have pretty impressive names too.
The first episode we meet Starks and know that they are going to be the house that we will want to support (don't deny it) and in the last episode, Daenarys proves that she herself will be the one we will be looking forward to. So, the first episode is named "The Winter is Coming" which is House Stark's line and the last episode is called "Fire and Blood" which, surprise surprise, is house Targaryens's saying.


I think it's not wrong to say that most of our GoT-lovers' favorite character is Tyrion Lannister, masterfully played by Peter Dinklage. (It is known.)

As much as I love Tyrion ,his mind and his amazing ways of slapping Joffrey, my favorite is, of course, Khaleesi Daenerys Targaryen, aka Daenerys Stormborn, played by a surprisingly brunette Emilia Clarke. Say whatever you want about me, call me a romantic or a typical girl, I don't care.. I just love -loved (queue one lonely tear)- the odd/lovable interactions between Khal Drogo, Jason Momoa, and his Khaleesi. Their pet names are pretty damn cute too if you ask me. Drogo calls Daenerys, 'moon of my life' (Jalan atthirari anni.) and Khaleesi calls Drogo 'my sun and stars' (Shekh ma shierali anni).It looks like I'm going to be fluent in Dothraki soon enough....(It is known.)


And since she apparently is the daughter of the dragon and brought dragons back to the realm after 300 or so years, we'll be seeing a lot more of her...



Now I don't want to go into too many characters but I think it wouldn't be the honorable (HONOR!) thing, if I didn't talk about a certain Stark. Eddard 'Ned' Stark is one of the most epic characters I've ever seen on these kind of settings. Though it's unfortunate that Sean Bean appears to have sworn an oath to play only evil characters and/or characters that have an honorable death. (HONOR!).

We haven't seen so much of Arya Stark, Maisie Williams, but there is something she has that makes me smile in an evil way, for the pain she will inflict on Lannisters.

Ok, onto more serious matters. Can somebody tell me how in the world Nikolaj Coster-Waldau who plays Jaimie Lannisters looks SO much like Prince Charming in Shrek 2? I mean, come on!


And I never am a supporter of violence but if you feel really frustrated while watching the showt, It gives a weird sense of calmness to watch Prince Joffrey Baratheon getting repeatedly slapped by Tyrion Lannister. There are even videos of '10 minutes of Joffrey getting slapped' -Google it, trust me it helps.



Speaking of meddling bitches, it saddens me to loath Sarrah Conner, Lena Headey who plays Cersei Baratheon (Lannister). Again, I don't like violence, especially against women or children, but I wouldn't mind if Cersei Lannister died, not one bit. But a HUGE SPOILER; It doesn't look like she is going anywhere for a long while, according to the books.
All hatred aside, I thought it was very fitting for Cersei to say the tagline to Ned: "In the game of thrones you either live or die, there is no middle ground..."

Books... Now, I said I didn't read the books yet but my brother is well into the second one and says author George R. R. Martin  likes to kill the popular and good characters. Started with King Robert, then Ned Stark and as if those weren't enough, he killed the mountain of a man, Khal Drogo, by giving him a scratch on the shoulder... So join me in chanting- with a very big amount of forum followers- : WHY GEORGE, WHY???

I also have a few words on the amazing, incredible, so-good-it-can-almost-top-Fringe's-one intro and theme song, but I'll leave that for another day...

Finally for the ones who can't wait for the new episodes to start, I have both good and bad news.
The filming of the second season is starting on 25th of June, but the actual season is to be aired in April, 2012...

5 comments:

  1. The quote is actually "When you play the game of thrones, you win or you die. There is no middle ground."...slightly different implications.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The quote in the review is the form in the TV show but I've read the book now. Yours is the one in the book. Thanks for the comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! I am so glad someone put the two pictures together between Prince Charming and Jaimie, I honestly could not take the character seriously for the longest time bcause ever time I saw him the Fairy Godmother song popped into my sorry head...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually I found the picture online but had the same excitement as you when I first saw it! I too was waiting for the Fairy Godmother to just appear out of somewhere, any time Jaime was on the screen!

    ReplyDelete