Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost: Snowflake Mania - Part 1

Friday, December 21, 2012

Snowflake Mania - Part 1


Hello everyone!
I have a very good buzz going because snow came in last night! It's good and sunny the day before,  hadn't even worn gloves until now and boom! It's white all over the city.
With the snow today, I thought it's finally time to share my latest madness with snowflakes. Paper ones. 
It started with a few innocent snowflakes but turned into something I fear now. First I did some generic, going with the flow snowflakes, then saw 3D ones and somehow took this simple thing into the next level, I'm afraid the level after this is obsession.. This is just the first batch, I have a bunch of geeky ones coming next. Stay tuned. Until then here are some 'irregular' snowflakes.


p.s: As I was writing this post, I realized I don't really have much of the regular snowflakes, after the first few, I dove right into the weird and geeky ones.

p.p.s: The ones labeled ' © cansueren.com ' are my own creations, others are from templates and/or ones changed or simplified from other templates.

   
   
Here are Turkish football teams Fenerbahce and Galatasaray's logos. The second logo had a hole in it when finished so I had to improvise a little.
As I was looking for new things to craft, I saw somewhere 'try writing cursive' and then these were born. These are some of my friends and family's names, including mine.  Some names are hard to see so I put the names on the snowflakes.


Cansu - Nazlı - Ceren

 
Tolga - Ece - Gizem


Zafer - Banu

The first 3D snowflake I did was very exciting because I didn't see the end model and didn't know how it was going to turn out. This is a very small one but I did bigger ones and one is even on display at my school's book shop! It's very easy to make but you need time, you can find the video tutorial here:


 
Homer Books @ Sabanci University

This is not exactly a snowflake but I told you it turned into something different. These are beautiful but the at the site I learned them from, they make them into epic combinations, check it out if you're interested.




Then I though why not try my hand at origami... Saw this video by Sara Adams and tuned out awesome but most likely was a Carpel Tunnel - inducer experience. You can find her video here, after some time you bond with Sara's sweet voice and start talking back and fold racing with her. Just... be careful.



These are some of the templates I found on the net, if you type in 'snowflakes' or 'how to make snowflakes' click on the images and learn the different techniques of folding the paper and folding numbers. Some of these are impossible to even try, I'm afraid I don't have the patience to perfect myself for those (for instance I'm sure the third one would quite be the death of me.)






3 comments:

  1. Canım çok güzel olmuş, bayıldım. İsimli olanlarını çok beğendim:))

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are very talented Cansucum. I love your snowflakes. I think, you love Christmas, snow, winter and that's why you create very wonderful snowflakes:)

    Ceren Teksahin

    ReplyDelete